Monday, December 8, 2008

And a Little Child Shall Lead Them


Teaching in a home school co-op has many advantages. I get to teach my own child, as well as eight of his friends. If something unexpected is taking place in the community we can stop all classes and have an impromptu field trip. I can choose to teach what our textbook teaches or deviate from it as desired. We say "under God" in the Pledge of Allegiance. And we can pray when we want, where we want and for whatever we want. Rebels r'us.

And so it was today that the children decided they wanted to pray for snow. Now I know, snow in December is not that unusual. Usually. This year though, other than a brief snowfall back in October, central Utah has remained a lovely shade of dead brown crunch. We are mainly a farming community so precipitation in any form is welcome. Sparse snowfall can be an ominous sign for our farmers that spring may be dry.

With this in mind, I was a little leery when the principal agreed to pray for snow. Not only snow in the next few days. Snow today. Snow before school gets out for the day so we can all be exhilarated together. 50+ teachers and students, kneeling on the floor in a circle, holding hands, praying for snow.

After the "Amen" kids were running around cheering, "It's going to snow today!" Not wanting to dampen their spirits with my adult logic, I played along. When one little girl approached me and said,"I'm afraid it's not really going to snow today. Look at the sunshine," I teased her, "Oh ye of little faith. Of course it's going to snow today. We prayed for it, didn't we?"

School gets out at 2:30. At 2:15 the snow began.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You won't be paid for it, but at least you'll know that you have contributed intelligence to the universe...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...