Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Decorating with Glass Jars and Mod Podge

    I don't know what Freud would say about my glass jar fetish.  Maybe he would say that the "cup" nature of a jar means that I crave to be fulfilled. Maybe he would say that I am a risk-taker who enjoys handling something that can be so easily shattered. Or maybe he would say that I feel life is too fragile and try to control that fear by controlling glass. Well Sigmund would be wrong on all accounts. I save glass jars because I think they are darn purty.
    On my internet travel trips I have lately seen several tutorials on how to make faux blue glass jars. It's very simple really and I have been itching to give it a try. Here are the steps if you want to try too:

1. Rinse glass jars after the contents are gone. I used peanut butter, pizza sauce, spaghetti sauce, and pickle jars.
2. Soak the jars in water to remove most of the label.
3. Use Goo Gone to remove the sticky label glue left on the jar.  Thoroughly wash and dry the jar.
4. Pour some Mod Podge into a small receptacle--one that is large enough to accommodate a paintbrush.
5. Squeeze a few drops of food coloring into the Mod Podge and stir well. I like purple better than blue, so
    I used 2 drops of blue coloring and 3 drops of red.
6. "Paint" the colored Mod Podge onto the glass jar. I painted the rim first and let it dry before I worked my
    way around the jar. Make sure you have enough "paint" on the brush to make a continuous stroke down
    the jar from top to bottom. If you try to paint over a section that you already painted before it's dry, it will
    gum up.



Aren't they yummy?  After I did these, I couldn't stop...

So I made more and tucked twinkle lights inside for a romantic feel. They don't look as purple in this light but they add atmosphere to my kitchen counter.

Maybe red and green for Christmas? Bright green for St. Patrick's Day? Yellow to hold a bunch of sunflowers?  Pink for a little girl's room? Orange for a pencil holder?


13 comments:

  1. Pretty. Jars are meant to be recycled.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Auntie M: Thank you. May I quote you when Computer Geek wonders why I have at least twenty jars hanging around at any given moment? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Randi -

    I am guessing Computer Geek wonders because he is a man!!! & jars are for food, lab specimens or recycling...

    Just a hunch...at least that would be my initial read...

    God Bless,
    Adam

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderfully creative way to decorate! Love it! Jillian would have me surround her with many, many pink jars!

    ReplyDelete
  5. septembermom: Oh it would be such a fun craft for you to do together! I've heard that Elmer's glue works if no Mod Podge is available. I'll bet she would just love to paint some pink jars!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love these jars Randi. I just bought the small ones and not sure what I will do with them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Debbie: When you decide what to do with those small jars, you will have to post it on your blog so I can copy your good ideas! *smile*

    ReplyDelete
  8. How pretty, and a good way to reuse glass jars.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jill @ Controlling My Chaos: Thank you! We love our Mod Podge, don't we? :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Randi! I'm here via Bob Brault's blog! Isn't he amazing?! I loved your comment, too, so naturally I had to stop by.

    I love what you've done with the glass jars, especially the lights in your kitchen. How magical! I'm pretty sure my husband would wonder about that, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Becky: It's so nice to see you here! I've met so many nice people through RB's site. I'd like to think he attracts all the cool people. :) Thanks for your comments on the lights and jars. I've been brainstorming trying to find new things to do with them. Thanks fo stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Randi
    Stored jars drive me round the bend at this time of de-cluttering, but I like to see others make full use of them...and you certainly do that.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Ken! Speaking of cool people that I've met through Robert Brault! The stored jars drive Computer Geek nuts too. Sometimes I will catch him throwing one away...

    ReplyDelete

You won't be paid for it, but at least you'll know that you have contributed intelligence to the universe...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...