Thursday, February 17, 2011

A Day Meant for Pocky

Yesterday I was shopping at the Walestial Kingdom with Computer Geek, Weston, and seven year old granddaughter, Hoolie.

Hoolie was in my cart because she was wearing her ballet slippers and we didn't want them to get dirty before her class. I was in the Chinese food section, looking for ways to spice up rice. My favorite Mandarin sauce wasn't there, so I hunted for a tasty replacement.

I saw something I had never seen there before---a bright pink box labeled "Pocky."  Pocky? Seriously?  It was a thin biscuit-like stick, covered with strawberry cream frosting.  They looked like edible sparklers. I mentally toyed with grabbing a box, then nixed the idea and continued on. At the end of the aisle, Hoolie said, "Grandma, I saw Pocky back there."

What? There was a person, and a very small one at that, who had heard of Pocky? I had to ask her, "So where have you ever heard of Pocky?"

"At Anime Banzai," she replied. "We ate lots of them."


It was a sign. There would be the eating of the Pocky that day.  I turned my cart around and went back to get a box of Pocky.
Pocky is actually rather yummy. Walmart had the strawberry cream and a chocolate version. We opted for strawberry. While it didn't solve my rice needs, it did satisfy my RATHER LARGE sweet tooth.


Little Hoolie at Anime Banzai
Her character's name is Tsunade [soo-nah-day]

Pocky. Walmart. 98 cents. What a deal.

11 comments:

  1. I have got to go get me some Pocky! I never heard of it, or if I did I forgot long ago...lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Debbie: Yes, you must go splurge on Pocky. Not only is it good, but one looks ever so elegant eating it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Randi -

    That's sounds really neat, though my sweet tooth is more in the mood for lemonheads, green leaf candies or good ol' licorice..

    God Bless,
    Adam

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adam: Licorice is always on my list! :) And what is green leaf candy? Is it that leaf shaped gumdrop that tastes like spearmint? Or something more organic?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Randi -

    Yeah its like the orange slices, but instead just spearmint or peppermint flavored, nothing organic about em (not that I don't love organic food, but candy doesn't do organic well, beef, milk, cheese, produce - these are good organic - but when I need just some raw sugar organic doesn't do that too well...go figure)

    Also Julia might like the little mochi ice cream balls, they are soo good, kinda doughy but just little Asian ice cream balls you just eat...That's one of my favorite little Asian deserts

    God Bless,
    Adam

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds like something you should put in your cache of items you're saving for a rainy day, tornado, blizzard, nuke disaster,
    meteor blast, oh, you know, that stuff you buy and hoard on a regular basis.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Adam--we shall definitely have to try the mochi. Another delicacy I had never heard of.

    Auntie M--I agree. I can't imagine going to the store for my Pocky fix only to have the shelves raided. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, Randi, you are so weak! But I guess it was worth it:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ken: You've got me pegged! I am especially weak when little blue-eyed granddaughters want some Pocky. My desires had nothing to do with it. Nothing, I tell you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aw, the Hoolie is quite the fan of Asian desserts, especially Pocky. We definitely become more educated on different foods after hanging out at their food fest. We tried Mochi, but we had a green tea version of it and it was really quite nasty, but their Asian soda, Ramune is rather good. They also had some chocolate filled Koalas that were yummy. And some salty cookies that I loved but I think the uncle and child were not fans of it :P
    Now I'm hungry for pocky!

    ReplyDelete
  11. juliegoose: One thing for which I always give you credit, is making sure your child has a well-rounded education. I was secretly very proud of her for knowing what Pocky was. :)

    ReplyDelete

You won't be paid for it, but at least you'll know that you have contributed intelligence to the universe...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...