Thursday, July 2, 2009

Thursday Thoughts of a Twitterless Thinker 7-2-09

Yes, ladies and gentlemen, it’s time once again for the Blithering Bloggeress, the Rambling Writer, the Queen of Quang to subject you all to that time-honored tradition—Thursday Thoughts of a Twitterless Thinker!

Since I don’t Twitter, I don’t want to deny anyone the privilege of knowing what I thought about all day. It's the rage.

I have been watching, for a few years now, So You Think You Can Dance and Dancing With The Stars. Five seasons ago, I didn’t know the difference between an Argentine Tango and a Paso Doble. Today, I sit and watch either show and say things like, “They shouldn’t have smiled during that tango,” or “ The footwork needed to be a little more aggressive on that paso. He was stepping too lightly.” My husband has even become quite adept at predicting what the judges will say.

Over the years, I have watched dance evolve. Several years ago, the nation watched in awe as Cheryl Burke and Drew Lachey did an amazing freestyle to Save a Horse by Big and Rich on Dancing with the Stars and won the competition. If that same routine was performed today, I am certain it would be pegged as “not enough for this level of competition.” And they would be right. Dance has progressed to where a certain level of gymnastics is almost expected for a performance to even be considered mediocre.

Last night, on SYTYCD, Melissa and Ade treated the nation to a Romeo and Juliet pas de deux. Today I think about what a thrill it is to watch the dance culture develop, literally step by step.

For a visual treat, watch this video of Oren Lavie’s Her Morning Elegance.

And now, for my fellow wordsmiths, the best quote I’ve read this week: Despite some famous examples to the contrary, if you can say "new" and you can say "clear", then you can say "new clear." Robert Brault

My son came home from Boy Scouts to tell me that he shimmied up a 30 foot rope without knots in it. Apparently in the last two years, he is only the second scout to be able to get to the top. Now I understand why, at his entry into Boy Scouts, his new scout leader told me, “We don’t like moms to come to scouting events or else the boys won’t have any fun.”

Speaking of wordsmiths, I love hearing words used in new ways or hearing phrases crafted in a unique style. Do you make up our own words? That’s fine with me as long as you don’t care that I steal it ( and use it as the title of my blog.) It should come as no surprise then that I have a new hobby. When I go to someone else’s blog, and I have to type the nonsense word in order to leave a comment, sometimes I write the nonsense word down because I love it. I am determined to find a use for the following “words” : koant, scril, deaph, honsfer, aniaste, maahjo, chastess, and my all-time favorite----eflush. No longer will I delete emails, I will eflush them! Come on, you writers out there. Can you think of a way to use the above words in a sentence? All mimsy were the borogoves!* Yeah!

What is an “ono” dinner? Computer Geek and I got invited to one and Wikipedia was no help.

With vacation time upon us, I couldn’t get out of my mind a beautiful post at Goodlife Zen, on having a “staycation.” I was surprised to find that the guest author was none other than one of Foreign Quang’s most frequent commenters, Janice Hunter. It contains some beautiful thoughts so I encourage you to pay her a visit.

I get to go see Merrill Osmond in concert on Friday. The Osmosis never ends!

My last thought on this lovely Thursday is actually a rant. I don’t rant often so when I do, you know I mean it, darn it! So tonight, I’m watching a dancing show (surprise) and there are two commercials for horror flicks. One was called Orphan and the other was The Unborn. (No, this is not a repeat of my gore rant from a few weeks ago.) I am ranting about the use of children in horror films. I saw the previews for these two films and was disturbed to see children so fiendishly used. I love little kids, and their sweet spirits and their innocence. I can’t for the life of me, understand people who corrupt all that is good about childhood by dressing up our babies as objects of evil. I can’t fathom allowing my ten-year old son to be painted up as a demonic character, nor can I imagine my five-year old grandson. No money in the world could sway me to allow such an abomination. Am I being too sensitive? What are your thoughts?

* Not an original sentence. Stolen with love from the Master Of All Made Up Words,
Lewis Carroll.

4 comments:

  1. Lewis Carroll, the master of all made up words. Hmmm, he's good, but how about that fella Seuss?

    I love reading his magical language to the grandkids (or to myself).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Auntie M: Seuss indeed! I love Dr. Seuss. In fact, last year in fifth grade I made my students each pick a Dr. Seuss book to read aloud in class even though it was below their grade level. It was a fun lesson in tongue twistery. They loved it. There's one of his books that I read a long time ago where the rhyme is finished by, "I don't know. Go ask your dad." I still say it to Jeremiah out of habit when it sounds cool to say so. Like, "Is this the longest vacation we've ever had?" "I don't know, go ask your dad."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will never ever buy my child a doll thanks to their ubiquitous evilness in horror films. Their little beady eyes...forget it!

    {clears throat}

    The deaph of the koant was scril(ed) upon mightily though aniaste deemed to chastess upon the meter of the honsfer and, maahjo!, did duly eflush the rest.

    (What do you mean I have no idea what those words mean? Also, please stop using 'dither' to describe the brilliance of my sentence.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hayden: You are truly the queen! I bow before your throne of wordsmithery. That was all kinds of awesome, Mrs. Lewis Carroll, your highness of Jabberwocky.

    ReplyDelete

You won't be paid for it, but at least you'll know that you have contributed intelligence to the universe...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...